apple and almond shortbread
115g cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
175g plain flour
55g caster sugar
Filling and Topping:
2 large Bramley Apples (approximately 600g)
100g softened unsalted butter
100g caster sugar
100g ground almonds
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
50g flaked almonds
Making the base
- Preheat the oven to 180’C
- Line a shallow cake tin 20x30cm
- Place all the ingredients for the base into a food processor and pulse until fine breadcrumb like mixture is formed. Press the mixture evenly into the lined tin, and smooth the top. Bake for approximately 20 minutes, until lightly golden. Allow to cool till just warm to the touch.
Making the topping
- Whilst the base is cooling. Peel and thinly slice the apples. Place in a bowl.
- Then combine the softened butter, ground almonds, eggs, and cinnamon together in the food processor.
- Stir the almond mixture into the apples, then spread the combined almond and apple mixture carefully over the shortbread base. Sprinkle with the flaked almonds.
- Bake approximately 30 minutes until golden brown and slightly springy to touch. A skewer if inserted into the almond mixture should come out clean.
- Place on a cooling rack, and allow to cool in the tin.
- When cold, cut into 12 pieces.